Sunday, November 1, 2009

How To Make Lollipops

Given that it is just after Halloween, my timing is a bit off
to be introducing more candy now, but these are calorie-free
and remind me more of Christmas than any other season.



Here's a tutorial on how to make those fleece lollipops
from the Little Blue Candy Store:



What you need:

  • Scrap fleece
  • Scissors or rotary cutter
  • Needle and thread
  • Pair of small pointy scissors or cutter
  • Craft glue
  • Short dowels (mine were about 1/4" and 7" long)

Step 1
Cut strips of fleece. I considered using felt but it might get hard to curl into a spiral. The actual length or width does not matter - they will just give a different pattern and/or different size lollipop. Mine were about 1.5" x 13".

Step 2
Sew them together along their long edges to make a piece of striped fabric as in the picture above. Again, the actual size of the piece of fabric does not matter.

Step 3
Cut fabric at a slant into strips of about 2"-2.5" wide. It does not have to be a perfect diagonal.

Step 4
Join up the ends as if you were making bias tape, to make a long strip about 2 feet (24" long). Again, this is approximate. In the picture below, the top strip is flipped so you can see the seams at the back. Each strip makes one lollipop.

Or you can find printed fleece that looks like this and just cut a strip of that.


Step 5
Thread a needle (I used a single strand of thread), knot the thread and begin tightly rolling the strip along its length to make a roll like a snake. Starting at one end, sew down the overlapping edge with a simple whip stitch or any stitch, really.

These stitches will be hidden later so don't try too hard to make them beautiful. Continue rolling and stitching. When you reach the other end, knot off and cut the thread off.


Step 6
Thread the needle (I used a double strand this time for strength), knot the thread, and start making the spiral. Curl one end tightly on itself and stitch through the curl to secure it. Keeping the seam underneath so it is hidden, continue curling and stitching through the spiral as long as it is small enough for your needle to go all the way through.

As the spiral grows too large for the needle to go all the way through, start stitching only through the layers just underneath.


Step 7
When you come to the end of the spiral, fold the raw edge of the end and stitch it down. Knot and cut off the thread.

If your spiral is very large and wobbly, you can push the needle through a few layers at various points to further reinforce your earlier stitching.


Step 8
Make a cut next to the end of the spiral and gently cut through as many layers as you can, keeping the hole/cut just large enough to insert the dowel. A hole about an inch deep will give stability to the dowel.


Step 9
Push the dowel into the hole, twisting to insert it as far as possible to enlarge the hole. Remove the dowel, apply glue to the tip and re-insert it.


All done!


Note: No tutorial for the candy cane, sorry. I just cut 2 candy cane shapes out of white felt, sewed them together, leaving an opening for turning out. Then I turned it right side out, stuffed it, sewed up the opening and glued red ribbon around it.


15 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love them. I think that I am going to have to throw a candy themed party one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so pretty! So many fun uses for these. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius! This might be the first tutorial I actually do. It's so cute and will be great with Christmas colors. I bet you could do a candy cane with similar techniques. That would be irresistible to the kids. So cute all together too. Thanks so much for making this. Really great idea and I've not seen it anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! What fun this would be for my girls play. Thanks!

    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea and so simple! Love your tent too but wow that looks like one BIG job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these, so cute!! I am not sure what I would really do with them, but I think I might make some if I can go get some fleece any time soon! :)

    If you do not mind, I would love to mention them in my Posts of the Week post due out November 8th! :)

    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love the lollipops! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tutorial!! I just used it with a bit of a twist to make a lollipop for my daughter's halloween costume.
    I linked to you on my blog.
    http://lessonsonlongview.blogspot.com/2010/09/she-represents-lollipop-guild.html
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this tutorial! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kay,
    Thanks so much for this tutorial. Ive quite a few to make for a school show and this has been so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooohhhhh! these very beatiful, I love them, I`m spanish, and them likes to my son, thanks so much!
    its very original bye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. These are fantastic. Thanks for this great tutorial! I'd love for you to link this (and any other felt projects you'd like to share) up at my Felt Food Roundup on OneCreativeMommy.com. I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's so lovely. thanks for your tutorial, i'm going to make this for my son lolipop costume.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bellissimo! E con la lana cardata come si potrebbe fare? Grazie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for talking to me! If you have a question, I might reply to it here in the comments or in an email.