Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Horse (and Unicorn) Food

Technically, this would be a Felt Food post but I really don't 
have time to make felt food unless it's in context. Like the 
donut shop, for instance. All the food in this frivolous post is 
to save horses and unicorns from starving to death. If I've 
learnt anything from being a mother, it is that children always 
know best. Especially when it comes to nurturing. Who else 
would make playdough noodles for Playmobil? Or painstakingly 
cut tiny paper squares to feed paper fish? Or roll paper 
bones for cuddly, polyester Spot/Fido/Whiskers?

Last summer, Emily raided the fridge for real baby carrots to 
set in a bowl for her stick horse. She invited a neighbor over 
to play and taught her to feed real food to toy pets. So when 
I was planning the horses for Emily's school auction, she 
reminded me that they needed food. And to make sure I got 
the right information, she told me what horses ate. 

So we made apples,

carrots

and potatoes

for the horses. (Emily wanted to make oats for them, 
but I talked her out of it). And today she declared herself 
Vegetable Girl and waltzed around the house with 
her basket of harvested produce.

Horse food - check.

Now unicorn food was a different story altogether. 

To begin, making Jewel was tricky on so many levels. For one, 
unicorns don't have harnesses or bridles or reins or whatever. 
They (as far as I remember) run free and aren't much keen on 
people riding them, let alone keeping them in a bedroom 
closet stable. Still, commitment-loving unicorns and their 
Small Girl Owners/BFFs are compatible at least in said 
Small Girls' minds, so I thought it was safe to domesticate Jewel.

And then there was the issue of sustenance.
I mean, what do unicorns eat, if they eat at all? Moonbeams 
and sunsets and rainbow glitter would have been my guess. 
At any rate, Emily would know. 

"Flowers," she told me.

So flowers it was.

Tulips, daffodils, daisies and bluebells

with florists' wire in their stems so they stand up


and make colorful bouquets

or rainbows.

We packed all the edibles in bags 

so whoever brings home a horse or unicorn won't be at a loss 
for snack ideas for their new pet. Unless they have a Small Girl 
at home running the show, of course.

Edited to add: These are not hard to make. But the felt stuff 
is time-consuming because of all the small pieces that need 
to be cut out. I didn't use patterns- I made them up. I had 
a little help with the apples, though. I cut a real Honeycrisp 
in half and traced around the cut surface. Then I cut that 
half into thirds, skinned one of those segment and traced 
the peel to make a pattern! (Yes, cheating, in other words). 
But you can't go wrong with nature, can you?  

See this post for a tutorial on the potatoes.

4 comments:

  1. Yu. Mmy! So so cute! (The food AND the girl who oversaw the choices.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so adorable! I can't believe you made these! The flowers are so gorgeous. I would start right away - if I weren't scared of all the work I would have to do ...
    Your girls must be so thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horse food and girl, both are so cute...tanks,

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a darling idea! They turned out great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for talking to me! If you have a question, I might reply to it here in the comments or in an email.