Saturday, August 23, 2008

How To Sew Shorts

One of the nicest things about summer is being able to sew dresses, shorts and other light, breezy and happy kids' clothes. I did some calculations and decided that the cost of sewing shorts isn't substantially less than buying similar ones from stores like Target. So rather than the savings, it ended up being more about the time of year we needed them. We make a yearly trip to tropical Singapore in the middle of winter here where we live and I always find that last summer's shorts are already too small to pack for this year's vacation. And since it is near impossible to find shorts in the stores in February, the alternative to wearing climate-inappropriate clothing is to sew shorts for the kids for their trip.

These shorts have elasticized waists which are extremely useful for potty-training, and can be cut and sewn in half an hour, provided there are no small children needing a snack, Band-aid or to be read a storybook nearby.

For one pair of shorts you will need:
  • Half a yard of fabric
  • 18" - 22" of 1" elastic (wrap the length of elastic around your child's waist to desired snugness and cut, giving an additional 1.5" for overlapping at the ends)
  • A large safety pin (like a diaper pin)
in addition to a sewing machine and matching thread.

You can make your own pattern from a pair of shorts that fit well, or you can use mine below. Sorry they aren't pdf files - I haven't got a clue how to upload those. If you can print them out so they fill a US letter size paper, they'll be the right size. This pattern is for a 3-year old, so size it up or down for children of different ages.




The numbers in the pictures below indicate the sewing sequence so if you are already used to cutting and sewing fabric, you can ignore all the texty instructions and just follow the numbers as a guide to assembling the pieces.

How To Sew Shorts
  • Fold fabric lengthwise (selvedge to selvedge) and cut out two front pieces and two back pieces. The length of the pattern should be parallel to the selvedges. So in the picture below, the selvedges were vertical.
  • Place a front piece and a back piece together with right sides of the fabric facing in. Do the same for the other pair of front and back pieces.

Sewing Step 1
Sew the short inseam of each pair as shown.
Serge or zig-zag stitch the edges to prevent fraying.



Sewing Step 2
Line up the long sides of each pair and sew together.
Serge or zig-zag stitch the edges.
You have just made two "tubes" - one for each of the wearer's legs.

  • Turn one tube right-side out

  • Flip that tube over and insert it in between the layers of the other tube.


  • Line up the edges of the U-shaped center seam


Sewing Step 3
Sew the edges of these two tubes together all along the U.
The aim of this step is to connect the two separate tubes
in the earlier picture to each other.
Serge or zig-zag stitch the seam edges.


  • Turn the shorts right side out - looks almost finished!


Sewing Step 4
Fold in the bottom edge of each leg 1/4" (1st fold) and then
fold over again 3/8" (2nd fold) to make a hem about 3/8" wide.
Top stitch all around the hem.


  • A close-up of the leg hem showing the top stitching.


  • The waistband is essentially a casing for the 1" elastic. So fold down about 1 1/4" of fabric as shown, and tuck in 1/4" of the edge

  • to make a hem that's a little wider than 1".
  • Here is a close-up of the 1"-wide folded hem with the elastic for reference.


Sewing Step 5
Top stitch close to the edge of the hem, so that the finished width
of the hem is adequate for the elastic to fit inside it.

  • Leave an opening of about 2" so the elastic can be threaded through the hem.

  • Using the safety pin, thread the elastic through the hem, leaving both ends sticking out of the opening.

  • Overlap 3/4" of both ends (i.e. total of 1.5") of the elastic, ensuring that it isn't twisted, and sew to join the ends.
  • Top stitch the opening closed.

The finished shorts

worn by Emily who refused to let me pre-shrink
them in the wash first (see note below).

Some miscellaneous notes:
  1. My favorite types of fabric for these shorts are knits - specifically, cotton-lycra blends with four-way-stretch. They sew easily, are not too flimsy and allow a lot of freedom of movement. I don't pre-wash the knit fabrics before cutting and sewing because they are easier to handle without all the curling edges. So the pattern I use makes allowances for shrinkage after washing. If you are using non-knit fabric, you will need to cut the pieces about 1/4" - 3/8" smaller all round the pattern.
  2. The finished, unwashed shorts might fit loosely and hang rather low in the crotch at first. I usually fold the waistband over itself the first one or two times the kids wear them. After two or three washes, the shorts fit just right. It's odd but true.
  3. Different elastic has different stretch, and some are "tighter" than others, and most shrink a bit in the wash. So give some allowance (1/2 to 3/4" should be sufficient) when measuring your child's waist for snugness. I like the no-roll elastic because it doesn't twist the waist hem around after a wash.
  4. I use regular thread but I do use a needle for knits because regular needles pull on the fibers of knits.
  5. These shorts work for little boys, too, especially if they are really little (like younger than 4), if you pick appropriate fabric prints (i.e. probably not floral!)
  6. Although the back and front pieces are cut from two distinct patterns, the finished shorts are completely reversible - a feature of the knit material, I think. If you think your kids might be confused, you can always sew a tag under the waist hem at the back of the shorts. My kids don't particularly care.


61 comments:

  1. Great instructions. Thanks for the deatiled instructions with step by step pictures. It was very helpful for a first timer like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi L
    these are so cute n useful
    might try them out after my exams in may!
    xxx rachael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, cool! Shorts pattern! I've been making skirts and shorts out of tea towels the last couple of days. I've got loads of remnants that I would love to use a real pattern on though. I'm not versed on pattern making and rules and regulations of garment sewing though. Your shorts are cuuuute!

    I'm only getting a couple of the photos showing up on your post though :( will try again later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your instructions were amazingly helpful!!! Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! You have no idea how hard it has been to find clear instuctions. I practically need sewing 101 for dummies.
    Ill give it a shot(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a million!

    We spent 5 entire hours trying to figure out how to assemble our shorts using the directions that came with the pattern we purchased. Your detailed instructions and picutres helped us figure it out in a matter of minutes! Out of all the webpages we visited, yours is the best and most helpful!

    Thanks again!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello, i am 16 so obviously wouldn't fit into a pair of age 3 shorts so could you tell me what measurements i would need to construct my own pattern? it would be very helpful, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there. My name is Karen and I am a novice sewer making efforts for my 2 little girls!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your help. I managed to make these shorts today while my girls played and for the 1st time ever did not have to unpick anything! I am SO pleased with myself (silly but true:)) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You. I only sew by hand. But this easy step by step pattern is a big help idea for mu projects. I am interested in your stitching techniques also. WE all use the same, but some style is a little different. Never hurts to try other technique styles. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for taking the time to share this. I know being a busy mom finding time is a luxury. You have saved me money, time and most importantly I feel great having the crotch turn out great every time... bless your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much. I'm a beginner sew-er and you make it so easy for me to feel accomplished. I'm from Singapore living in Canada the last 10 years. We return every summer, so the skirts and shorts are perfect for my 6 year old daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks ur instructions are so clear and very helpful , thumps up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How do I print the pattern? Are parts cut off when I print? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the directions. As a beginning sewer they really helped my. And the shorts I made for my daughter turned out really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for another great tutorial. I linked you fro=m my FB page.
    http://www.facebook.com/SewzannesFabrics?ref=ts

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have been trying to sew a pair of shorts from a commercial pattern and was getting ready to pull my hair out and throw my sewing machine out the window. Then I came across your tutorial. I have been able to make 3 pairs of shorts now. Thank you, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for this! I just made my 8 yo some pajama shorts using this guide (just a bit bigger obviously!!). Am very flattered indeed to see my little blog listed in your inspiration list, thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am a complete beginner and had cut some pattern I got off my mum lol...and got stuck because the instructions were so hard to understand. I found your blog post and had my shorts done and my son wearing them before bedtime!! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i am not really a beginner but i am insecure at times, whats the best fabric for a women sun dress

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Anonymous
    Anonymous: It really depends on what style of dress you're planning. What about a knit fabric? Or rayon?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for these tutorials! My daughter (who just turned 8) & I have actually been learning to sew thanks to your patterns and tutorials! Really truly learning to sew! Making clothes...finishing them! :) & the kids love them. They want me to sew all the time tho. Lol! I look forward to making a skirt for me too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for posting this clear and easy to understand tutorial! I made a pattern by tracing a pair of shorts that fit my 11 month old daughter really well. I used a beautiful embroidered linen fabric that was already in my stash so I only had to buy the elastic (I used 3/4")
    This was the first pair of shorts that I ever made and they came out really nice; I know I'll make many more using your instructions.
    Love your website
    -Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for posting this clear and easy to understand tutorial! I made a pattern by tracing a pair of shorts that fit my 11 month old daughter really well. I used a beautiful embroidered linen fabric that was in my stash so I only had to buy the elastic (I used 3/4"). Just a reminder, if you're tracing an existing pair of elastic waist shorts, don't forget to stretch out the waistband before tracing. This was the first pair of shorts I've ever made and they came out really nice; I'll definitely be using your instructions to make more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you SO much! My 5 yr old son has been begging me to make red shorts for his little stuffed teddy bear. I know how to sew and have sewn shorts before, but I was having trouble getting started in thinking about how to do it and wasn't going to use a pattern since I thought I could figure it out. When I was looking the fabric over (which felt was the only red I had at home) I heard the Holy Spirit say to me, "Google it." Well, I did not acknowledge it was the HS at first and so I thought, "No, googling will take too long to find what I need." After another minute of trying to figure out how to sew the shorts in my head, I went to the computer and typed in "Doll shorts". Well, oddly enough, your blog came up and when I looked at your pattern up at the top of this page, sized down and all, I thought, "I bet if I printed it out like this it would fit his bear!" So, that's what I did and I just finished and guess what?! God's a genius!! haha They fit perfect. I think God is my new favorite sewing buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow Finally I've found some detailed and clear instructions!!!.... I'm so happy, thank you very much for sharing this... the instructions are perfect, now we'll see if the shorts I'll saw will be too :P.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMGosh!! Thank you! I think I can do this.
    I don't know what it is with pants and shorts, my brain goes dead. I Love the TUBES! I never would have thought of that. I'm printing out your pattern now and I'll do a test pair tomorrow.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice step by step. It's really easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  28. GREAT GREAT pattern, easy to follow and easy to tweak for different sizes. Thank you so much, I am going to put a pic up on my blig and will acknowledge you in it if that's ok? Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I learnt to sew when I was in the army, huh you might say, anyway that was some time ago, now I have grand children and one is intereted in sewing, so grandad goes and buys a machine, and sits with my grand daughter and gives her a few lessons. vests, blouse, singlets are her first items, than she asks, grandad can you make me some shorts. I never had a clue until I found your instructions thank you so much, she now enjoys sewing her own shorts and adds length to produce slacks for herself...a lot cheaper too she is now teaching her friends she is only 10yrs old once again thank you for th shorts she wears her clothing..with pride.

    ReplyDelete
  30. thanks your instructions are so clear and very helpful , thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm trying to make shorts for my 6T and 5T daughters. How do I adjust the pattern to make them bigger? I may just have to eyeball it!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. this will help me alot! i kne whow to make shorts but somehow when i was sewing the pattern i got confused and it was just a mess so this will help me alot! thx

    ReplyDelete
  33. I always use these tips when I sew... It helps me alot http://howtofixstuff.blogspot.ca/2012/04/how-to-sew-tips.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. this was so helpful!!! i made my pant in one hour .... thank you for you tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  35. What great and thorough directions! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for posting this tutorial. It was very helpful in showing how to put the shorts together.

    http://sarahdudik.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/quick-kid-shorts/

    ReplyDelete
  37. So wonderful. I just finished my 4th pair of shorts for my 7 year old twins. I have a commercial pattern that drove me crazy and I spent way too long trying figure it out. Your instructions and pictures are perfect. Thank you!!!!! Just made summer pj bottoms. I also used this to make fleece Batman & Robin shorts at Halloween time! I love this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your tute on making shorts, was the easiest to follow, I have a 4 year old daughter and manged to make 3 pairs out of just one metre of fabric. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm 15 and I typically wear a size 10 or 12 in the junior's section, how big should i make the "tube"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be able to tell based on just size numbers. What are your waist and hip measurements (snug, but not tight)? You can email me.

      Delete
  40. I'm fifteen years old and I typically wear a size 12 or 14 in the juniors section. how big should i make the "tube"?

    ReplyDelete
  41. do you think it would be possible if I made it into boardshort length (just above the knee) and add pocket? if it is I'm making this asap! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine so! Just lengthen the inseam and side seam (i.e. lower the hem) and add pockets! It would be baggy, and it would flare, but if you minimized the flare to the leg, it would probably turn out OK.

      Delete
  42. I find that re-purposing t-shirts makes for very inexpensive shorts. If you don't have any usable unworn t-shirts around they are usually quite inexpensive at thrift stores.

    That makes them CHEAP!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I just made these shorts for myself, I am almost 18, and they are pretty great they have pineapples on them :D I didn't really know about size or anything so I made a pattern from a pair of pants I already owned, like you suggested, and they seemed to turn out good, so thanks for making an easy to follow tutorial, so that average sewers can still create fantastic items. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. U made it so simple nd easy,fanx

    ReplyDelete
  45. These are nice mens shorts sale that are lightweight and comfortable to wear but be sure to have somethng to ware under them.

    ReplyDelete
  46. wow,thank you!the shorts in flounce shorts ,I think, are what you like,

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love this. If there is a level below beginner then, that's me. This actually made sense. Although I have one question, could I use string a draw string instead of elastic? While following the rest of the directions of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ElfChef: Yes, you could totally use a drawstring instead of elastic. Just make one or two buttonholes in the front of the shorts, within the channel area, for the ends of the drawstring to emerge so you can manipulate them and tie them.

      Delete
  48. Awesome! I just made these for my very tall 2 year old and they are great for potty training. I used one of our extra t shirts! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I bought a shorts pattern, but was not able to figure it out till this tutorial. My kids thank you (especially since the weathers been 100+ degrees).

    ReplyDelete
  50. thanks so much the best tutorial on how to put together shorts of any kind (
    adult ot child )on the internet

    ReplyDelete
  51. I do have a question, if using materials other than 'stretch' materials such as cottons, then why would the pattern be cut smaller if the cotton shrinks? Also, because I cannot see the images for the inseam, what are these measurements?

    Also, in able to make these a pdf version for your pattern, you should just be able to use Microsoft word and hopefully it will make the new version larger for you to adjust the pattern sizing. :) Please notify me asap as I would love to make a pair of these for my new grand niece. Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crying T Ranch: Whenever I sewed these knit shorts in the (very distant) past, I'd lay and cut out without prewashing. After the first couple of washes, they shrink and stay that size for subsequent washes. If I were to cut these out of wovens (which I have never done), which I'd assume wouldn't shrink as much as knits in the wash/dry cycle, I'd cut them a little smaller, or else be prepared for them to fit a little more loosely. I do not usually sew garments with quilting or other cottons, only apparel fabrics, so I have no idea what their shrink factor is (if they shrink substantially, I mean) compared to knits.

      Delete
  52. Did you also line the shorts? I don't see any info on the white fabric. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  53. everything is so well explained. in don't like to read lots of instructions, here on your blog i've found what i was searching for: simplicity and photos :) thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  54. I have now made a couple of shorts. I used the general idea or shape from the pattern, and made my own pattern. With my fabric, I just folded it and cut around the edge, but not in the fold, kind of... why cut the fold just to sew it back together.
    I also used identical front and back, so amazingly easy to put together.
    My oldest son, age 4 1/2, now only want to wear home made shorts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for talking to me! If you have a question, I might reply to it here in the comments or in an email.